Monday, February 6, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mr. President!

As most of you know, regardless of my feelings about a particular administration, I will NEVER speak out, publicly, against them.  I have the utmost respect for our Nation, our Constitution, and the Office of the President of the United States of America.  That said, just like anyone else, I have my favourite.  And again, as most people know, my all time favourite, the President that every other President should strive to emulate...is RONALD REAGAN.
Today would have been his 101 birthday.  In, what I considered to be a shocking turn of events, on 28 July 2010, California officially dedicated 6 February as "Ronald Reagan Day"!  It is now my favourite holiday and I am of the opinion, and I know you will be utterly flabbergasted...I do, in fact, expect prezzies.  I know...someone could knock you over with the feather that I would expect prezzies on a holiday...but that's how I roll!  (Yes, I am aware that I can not pull off the phrase, "That's how I roll.")
Those of you who follow me on Twitter (@PrincssPrepPink) or are Facebook friends know that I spend the week sharing my favourite Ronnie quotes.  I also wear a T-shirt with a picture of my beloved Ronnie and the phrase, "Sometimes the world needs a cowboy."  There are so many things blog-worthy about him...but I have chosen to share how he touched my life, personally.
Let me preface this by saying, I shall NOT be mentioning my age at the time...but on 19 June 1986, Ronald Reagan become the first sitting POTUS to give a high school Commencement Address.
Whilst it wasn't my graduation, I was not in the auditorium to witness his speech first hand, only through the loud speakers set up outside. That said, I was lucky enough to be right up front as Marine Corps One land on the athletic fields and he made his remarks outside the school preceding the graduation ceremony.  To this day, I swear we made eye contact...it felt as if he was speaking to me, personally.  I'm sure most people who have been in his presence at some point felt the same way.  He truly was the Great Communicator.  And though most people FEEL that way...I KNOW we made eye contact...I KNOW he was speaking to me.  The voices in my head agree. 
That was the day I fell in love.  Ronald Reagan is one of my heros...and I assure you it is a very short list!!!  The world was a better place for having him in it...and his passing was part of the end of an era in which America had a breed of cowboy that defined us.  Thank you, President Reagan.  Thank you, John Wayne.  Long live Clint Eastwood...

XOXO
~CAT

No comments:

Post a Comment